Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm fairly new to using linux for anything more than dinking around on the web and watching video's. I have a few computers running in my household and recently decided ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Home File Server ??

I'm fairly new to using linux for anything more than dinking around on the web and watching video's.

I have a few computers running in my household and recently decided it would be nice to set up one as a small network file host. First, I wish to able to drag and drop files over the LAN to and from this computer so that i am not forced to find a thumbdrive, walk across the house, copy misc.file and go back to my desktop/laptop. Second i want to be able to stream the videos/music to my xbox360/other computers. Thirdly, i wish to leave Fedora 12 running on it. The biggest purpose here is that i have a small modified laptop set up at my soldering table, which i would like to have purely to show the schematic of whatever project i design. The laptop is old, with 2 USB ports both of which are being used (mouse and keyboard) as these components on the laptop itself do not function. I do my designing on the computer i wish to use as a server or on my laptop, which is what actually prompted this server idea.

I was wondering if anyone here could help me out by pointing out any software/settings, perhaps a setup tutorial, or even a link to another thread where this may have already been covered.

(The "server" is a laptop which must remain plugged into the wall due to problems, and to ethernet as it has no wireless.)

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

{also i would like this to function between linux boxes and windows if possible}

any distro can do this, just install F12 and install samba packages to run windows file share server, just google for samba tutorials i'm sure you'll find what you need

Or just setup FTP. It too is rather easy. Use Filezilla to upload, download files.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks i'll try out both. Will i also be able to stream my media to the xbox360 through Samba?

I don't know, that depends if xbox can connect to windows file shares or not, how would you normally stream to the xbox?

Just Joined!
    Normally I would simply hook it up to the LAN or directly to my laptop and stream through Ethernet or WiFi. Only sees folders shared by Windows, and on some editions this requires Media Center to be synced to the Box (again depending on the Windows edition.) XP seems to do fine with just the Public folders.

Another question; as i have not had the time to try it out yet, when using Samba will i be able to (through the network) connect to any peripherals such as an external HDD or printer?

you can map external hard drives as shares, inside the samba config. as far as printing goes cups is the preferred method of printer service in linux

you can share printers through samba as well though

sweet. learn something new everyday

Just Joined!
    Very nice thank you very much for the answers. i should be setting this up tomorrow night so i'll let you know how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast