Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I hope this is the right forum section for this question. I've already set up file sharing between my PS3 (with Yellow Dog Linux) and my PC (with Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Copying a File over the Network

Hello,

I hope this is the right forum section for this question.

I've already set up file sharing between my PS3 (with Yellow Dog Linux) and my PC (with Windows 7). I can see a file I create as a test on both side of the network share. For example, I created "test.txt" on the Network folder, and both OS' see it.

My goal is to create an iso of a Blu-ray movie and as it's ripping, using the dd_rescue command, I would like it to go over the network and dump to the PC on the fly. The issue I have right now is when I dump the iso to the network share folder (which I can see on the PC side) it actually dumps on my PS3 harddrive. I don't want that as I only have 10G of space and I need at least 30-35G for the entire iso. My PC has the space I need.

Is there a way to dump it on the fly over the network to my PC harddrive? It seems I'm really close.

What I've been doing today is using this command:

cd PS3Share to get me to the network share folder I can see from my PC.

Once at that directory, I use:

dd_rescue /dev/scd0 vid.iso

I would have thought that any file being dumped in the PS3Share folder would automatically go to my PC, but it doesn't.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
    David

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    AFAIK, and from my reading of the man page(s):

1. This is a file/device-oriented copy, not directory-based. You can backup an entire partition such as /dev/sda1 or device such as /dev/sda that way, but not a directory, per se.
    2. There is no option to run continuously.
    3. Backing up partial files until they are done is not supported.

There is also ddrescue (dd_rescue without the under_score). It has some more options that might work to backup a file that is still open for write, such as (from the ddrescue man page):
    Code:
           -T, --try-again
                  mark non-split, non-trimmed blocks as non-tried
    The rsync command is more suitable for file/directory level copying, but AFAIK it does not have a continuous-retry mode and may or may not backup unfinished files correctly. Don't know as I haven't tried that. My guess is that it will copy until it gets to the end of the file and then stop or go on to the next file.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!