Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello dear forum members! I'm a simple computer programmer, and I create web based software. I would like to be able to manage my own server. Everyone in hosting forums ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can I manage my own server?

Hello dear forum members!

I'm a simple computer programmer, and I create web based software.

I would like to be able to manage my own server.

Everyone in hosting forums say "Go get a managed one!" because they make money out of it.

And when you ask them what do you do, they say, we monitor if apps are runing, and, install patches and secure it.

So, how hard is it doing "all" this?

Can you please list what I need to learn "very well" in order to have my own server runing?

What are the most important things I need to learn?

I have time to learn it and run a server at home to learn..

How hard can it be to mess up something as stale as Debian anyway?

So, I'm open for all your ideas, suggestions and recommandation.

Just please do not say "just mess up with it" or "get a managed server."

As I said, I'm ready to mess up with it, but WHAT do I need to mess up in order to know enough to manage a server?

Thank you!

Linux Guru
    Do you understand name resolution and DNS? Then you can register a domain name and point your domain name to the public IP of your home network. (Note - your ISP must give you a *public IP.* Private IP's will not be reachable by the Internet at large. Wikipedia for public vs. private IP's.)

Do you understand networking basics? Then you can forward the ports you need for your services (web server, mail, etc.) through your home router/firewall to your server.

For a server build, there are countless tutorials.

There are millions of people running a server from home that don't know the items above "well" - a small understanding will get you working. A better understanding will keep you secure and help work around problems that arise.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your prompt answer!

I do have some knowledge over those subjects.

However my issue is not how to get them working or how to achieve what I want to do with Debian.

I said home server, just to learn. My main goal is to run my own VPS or Dedicated server.

All those "hosting people" made me think as if Managing a server is a sacred job. As in, something super complicated.

As long as I manage to run the applications that I need (web server et cetera) and do the necessary updates, is there anything else for me to worry about?

Why would Apache shut itself down? Even if does, I can program a Perl script to get it up and runing again, right?

So I just want to learn the most important things ASAP and get my own server up and runing, without paying double the price for management.

What do you suggest that I do? What should be my main issues? And how do I learn them? (I.E. : Security -> study this)

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    Do you understand name resolution and DNS? Then you can register a domain name and point your domain name to the public IP of your home network. (Note - your ISP must give you a *public IP.* Private IP's will not be reachable by the Internet at large. Wikipedia for public vs. private IP's.)

Do you understand networking basics? Then you can forward the ports you need for your services (web server, mail, etc.) through your home router/firewall to your server.

There are millions of people running a server from home that don't know the items above "well" - a small understanding will get you working. A better understanding will keep you secure and help work around problems that arise.

Linux Guru
    What do you suggest that I do? What should be my main issues? And how do I learn them?
    Install an OS and go from there. No one can predict the specific challenges you might face. There is no single tutorial to read and suddenly be an expert. Experience is your best teacher - that and Google.

Just Joined!
    Please allow me to tell you a little about myself and my needs, and I hope you'll be kind enough to give me some ideas as a professional.

I'm a bit familiar with Shell and some commands, how Linux works and of course with C, C#, Php, Perl and some other programming languages.

What I want is.. As I live in Europe and most of my clients will be from there too, I want to get a server from Germany. My aim is to create a web-based B2B application (a rather simple CRM), and to host a few websites of mine. I take this as a serious job and I am not at all planing to jump into selling web hosting via cPanel.. No..

So anyway, I'm thinking of Netdirekt and... IF I want to get a Managed Server from some other company, I have to pay 4x the price to get the same thing! I don't have that budget..

All I want to do is to run a webserver and mysql for a web-based application.. And maybe host a few sites of the company as I've mentioned.

So I want to get an unmanaged server and run it.. But I can't monitor it 24/7. I can perform daily things, even a few times a day.. But not all the time.

So does this mean I should not try to manage my own server? Does it mean I'll certainly get hacked or apache will shut it self down? Can you please give me examples and suggestions?

Do I have to hire a guy or a company, and pay extra to do that?

I respect the job of management tremendously.. It is very hard and I am this hesitant because I am not sure if I can handle it.. But then I think it is just one server and I don't need to much on it..

So, do I need to spend hours everyday and monitor it 24/7 or can I perform daily tasks, or a few times a day, and be cool with it and do my job, which is developing the software?

I hope you understand what I mean and care to give me some recommendations.

Today I'll get to install Debian on a seperate machine and start using it as my home-deployment-testing server right away..

Thank you, once again!

Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    Install an OS and go from there. No one can predict the specific challenges you might face. There is no single tutorial to read and suddenly be an expert. Experience is your best teacher - that and Google.