Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello forum, I searched lots of tips at google regarding the creation of users for use in samba and, in general, they all point the same steps: 1) useradd + ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Samba users

Hello forum,

I searched lots of tips at google regarding the creation of users for use in samba and, in general, they all point the same steps:

1) useradd + passwd (to create a linux login)
    2) smbpasswd -a (to add the created user in samba password database)

Our smb.conf is attached.

I donīt know why, could not figured it out yet, why new users are not added to the password database. I create them in linux, add to samba, edited file smbusers (to map linux logins to samba users) but the password file (passdb.tdb) is never written/changed. At the end, this prevents us from connecting to the shares.

Do you know what am I missing? I know this is basic and there are a lot of stuff, how tos, wikis but all that I saw points to what we are doing!

Can you help? Thanks you all!
    Attached Files Attached Files

First place I would check would be in the logs. All the relevent ones like messages, and smbd and nmbd, maybe even auth or security depending on which variety you are using.

you could also use -D to turn up the debugging level (0-10 zero being the default 10 being massive i'd suggest about 1 or 2), which may shed some light as to why it might be failing.
    linux user # 503963

Just Joined!

Samba users

Hello, today everything worked fine. Users got added and we are being able to authenticate and map our shares. Thanks for the support.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close