Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am busy configuring a smtp server for our network. I have postfix, Mailscanner and mailwatch installed, they are all working. If I set on my PC, that my outgoing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

postfix problem

I am busy configuring a smtp server for our network. I have postfix, Mailscanner and mailwatch installed, they are all working. If I set on my PC, that my outgoing mail server is that server, lets say 192.168.100.180. then I can send no problem, scans the mail and everything.

the problem comes in when I use a different mail server(for testing I use 1.1.1.1) in my thunderbird, and then on our office firewall I forced smtp to that server, I get mail server sent incorrect greeting.

However If I do the same thing, but redirect it to our current postfix server, the mail sends no problem.

Is there something that I am missing?

thunder bird incorrect greeting can mean several things. What I always do when setting up a mail server is test using telnet
    Send Email via Telnet

this seems to be the best way to find out where your problem is breaking down. Give that a try and let us know.

Just Joined!
    I know that the smtp works, because I can send via the server, if I specify it as my server.

but If I force smtp to the server, it doesn't accept the connection.

e.g.

telnet on port 25, get connection:
    ehlo localhost gice out the correct info.

When I force smtp to the server, and then telnet on port 25 to a random IP, the I get cannot connect to SMTP server x.x.x.x, connect error 10060.

To summarize, I basicly need the smtp server to accept all connections, no matter what outgoing server the client is set to.