Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm running PCLinuxOS 2010 Beta 1 and seem to have some 300 Gb of space on my hard drive. i'd like to also use it as a Moodle site if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Is it possible to use my Desktop as a Moodle site?

i'm running PCLinuxOS 2010 Beta 1 and seem to have some 300 Gb of space on my hard drive. i'd like to also use it as a Moodle site if possible.

The machine itself is a DuoCore 2.8 Ghz, one SATA 500 Gb, 2 Gb RAM.

i tried to install another website previously on another computer we had using the BEL for PCLinux and found that it wasn't all that difficult but we don't have that computer any more.

The webhoster where we now have our website has Joomla on it as well as a Moodle area but we are having problems because the webhoster has limited PHP to only 32 Mb and the newer versions of Moodle evidently need at least 40 Mb. We were thinking about just leaving Joomla on the original webhoster for now and using a link to the Moodle area on our local machine.

Does this sound feasible/secure?

Have a great evening!

As far as your computer/operating system is concerned, I do not see any obstacles.
    But the question is whether your network connection is up to the jpb. (Bandwidth, static IP, up 24/7?)

Also don't forget the power costs.
    I made a comparision and found the power bill to be larger than a webspace package. But power may be cheaper in Mexico
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

GNU-Fan... Thanks for replying! i hadn't figured out the power bill before. In fact i had been trying to figure out why we were paying so much more per month for power. Duh. i got out my handy-dandy Galculator and figured out that my 400 watt rig was/is costing us (400 x 24 x 30 x 2.417 M.N.)/1000 = $56 U.S. / month + 11% Tax. As you can see, electricity down here is charged at different rates -- 3 rates for households. The most expensive is at 2.417 M.N. which is about $0.20 U.S.

Time to start looking for a solar panel solution or rig up a treadmill for our Labrador.

Well, i need to continue thinking about this. i don't think bandwidth will be a problem, and when it/if it does, then it'll be time to look for a more robust webhoster.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Really appreciate it and have a great morning!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close