Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm attempting to run a ventrilo server on my webhost bluehost.com. I called them up and got a dedicated IP address, then I logged on using SSH through a command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing a ventrilo server on my web host

I'm attempting to run a ventrilo server on my webhost bluehost.com. I called them up and got a dedicated IP address, then I logged on using SSH through a command prompt and uploaded the .gz file to the appropriate directory. I have no experience in linux or using linux commands, so I'm going by what I can afford time to google to try to figure this out. I'm not sure which distribution of linux the server is running that I'm connecting to.

I've asked my web host to open port 3784 for TCP and UDP.

Here's what I've typed in order to attempt to run it so far:

mkdir ventrilo - creates a directory called "ventrilo" in root
    cd ventrilo - sets folder "ventrilo" as the 'working directory' (?)

I then copied the .gz file to said directory.

tar zxf (.gz filename) - this I guess extracts the files onto the server. I can see them extracted on my FTP client.

./ventsrv - on the directions it says run "./ventrilo_srv". but I'm assuming it means ventsrv since that's the name of the sub directory after extraction. I don't understand how this command runs the executable/script.

To isolate the problem, how can I figure out if the server is running besides trying to log into it via my client at home? How can I figure out if the port my host claims to be open is in fact open?

Among the files in the archive, which is the script that needs to be executed on the server's end? What is the command to do so? Have I executed it without realizing it already?

Just Joined!
    This is what you need: VentriloControlPanel

www dot ventrilocontrolpanel dot com

No need to use the command line with this add on.

Just Joined!

Lightbulb A possible alternative

I know this isn't a solution to your problem, but it's an alternative worth considering. You may want to take a look at Mumble (mumble.sourceforge.net). It's an open-source VoIP system like Ventrilo, but it uses the Speex codec for really good audio quality.

We used both Ventrilo and Mumble, and my team and I have found Mumble to provide far superior sound quality and reliability. Setting up Mumble is a breeze, and the software is cross-platform, with servers and clients for Linux, Windows, and Mac. It also has text-to-speech and a slew of other features.

Plus, the development community of Mumble seems more active than that of Ventrilo. For example, the Ventrilo Linux client has been "in development" for years now.