Find the answer to your Linux question:
Newbie here and just trying to setup a very basic web server using Centos 5 and Apache. From the outside web, I can type the address and it takes me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why do I still see Apache Test page

Newbie here and just trying to setup a very basic web server using Centos 5 and Apache. From the outside web, I can type the address and it takes me to the Apache Test page. Then says "You may now add content to the directory /var/www/html/" I created a simple html "hello" file in dreamweaver and put it in the /html but when I try it, I get the same Apache page. I tried these instructions

" Simple open your /var/www/index.html file and modify it or delete file (though it might trigger new error). Under Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS/Fedora Core, rename or delete a file /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf to make sure you do not see Apache test page.

You may now add content to the directory /var/www/html/. Note that until you do so, people visiting your website will see default page and not your content. Is it as simple as adding the html file to that folder because it is not working for me.

I am sure this is something very simple but there may be much more than just adding the file to the directory but I am lost. However much of the documentation on the web is hard to understand for such a newbie so thanks much for your help.

Just Joined!
    Look for DocumentRoot in your httpd.conf file. That is where Apache starts looking for any html content. The index.html file at that location should be Apache's test page currently. Replace it with your hello document.

Just Joined!

thanks

Will try and post results

/var/www/html should be set as the DocumentRoot for a default CentOS/RHEL install. Did you remove the index.html file and replace with your own?