Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I am installing CentOS to a PC for server purposes and need to be clarified on some basic things. 1) How much Gig should I allot for the server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Basic Installation Concerns for Server (CentOS)

Hello!

I am installing CentOS to a PC for server purposes and need to be clarified on some basic things.

1) How much Gig should I allot for the server partition please? I plan to install just the optimum requirements needed to have a healthy server w/ VirtualBox for Guest OSes. Currently I have an 80G HD. I plan to use 30 G for CentOS w/ VirtualBox. 50 G for Storage. Or should I make it 20 - 60? Any thoughts please?

2) Aside from Desktop - KDE, is there anything from the list that I should choose during installation?

Desktop Gnome
    Desktop - KDE
    Server
    Server GUI
    Server Virtualization
    Clustering
    Storage Clustering

Thank you !

EDIT: And also are there other things I should choose from this list?

FTP
    Mail (SMTP)
    NFS4
    SSH - Already pre checked
    Samba
    Secure WWW (HTTPS)
    Telnet
    WWW (HTTP)

Thanks for your patience!
    Last edited by nujinini; 04-08-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    As the server admin, you are the one who knows what you intend to do with the server and its only you who can decide how much disk space to allocate to your partitions. Just don't be too stingy because you don't want to have to put your server out of action because you have ran out of disk space. Personally I wouldn't install KDE or GNOME on a server but thats just a personal choice.

Hi daark.child,

As the server admin, you are the one who knows what you intend to do with the server
    I plan to use it as a file server to start with. For your info I am totally ignorant of servers and have just started to try to learn.

and its only you who can decide how much disk space to allocate to your partitions. Just don't be too stingy because you don't want to have to put your server out of action because you have ran out of disk space.
    Yes I agree! I will be getting a 1TB external soon. Meantime, do you think, 25G CentOS & 55G Storage can get me started?

Personally I wouldn't install KDE or GNOME on a server but thats just a personal choice.
    As of now, I'm afraid these are the only two that I'm familiar as of the moment. Hopefully in the near future.

Thank you!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close