Find the answer to your Linux question:
...none show up on the network. They are both connected hardwire to my router. When I open the admin page to my router, I see everything connected on there just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to run server between Linux and WinXP but...

...none show up on the network. They are both connected hardwire to my router. When I open the admin page to my router, I see everything connected on there just fine. When I go to Network Places in XP, I see nothing. When I run Remote Desktop or Terminal Server Client or anything else on Ubuntu, even when I put in the IP of the other computer, it cannot see it. I am running TightVNC on the XP machine in Listening Mode and still Ubuntu could not see it. I'm figuring if neither computer shows on each other's network, naturally they won't be able to connect. I am running Windows Firewall on SP3 on the XP machine. Every search I've run on this problem people can see their computers just fine but can't connect. I can't even see the computers. What am I doing wrong?

Lets start out easy. Please post the output from ifconfig and ipconfig.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

i think you are expecting things to just show up like they do on a windows network through netbios

i think you will have to install the samba package and make sure nmbd service is running, i could be wrong though

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i'd start with the obivous: kill firewall, ICF (internet connection firewall), and Application Layer Gateway on the XP machine. Even if you disable the firewall remember to turn off the ICF service inside of Services.

Once you get everything running, and you feel you have to run these programs, turn them back on and figure out what holes need to be opened to make it work.
    Last edited by scathefire; 04-14-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: wrong service
    linux user # 503963