Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I run a small website, the offered services are basics : webmail, wiki, a small Drupal CMS. All with low volume, low frequency and only few clients as myself, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Squid proxy : when does it worth ?

Hello,

I run a small website, the offered services are basics : webmail, wiki, a small Drupal CMS.
    All with low volume, low frequency and only few clients as myself, but also some members of my family for their few emails per day.

Will Squid give benefits in a such environment ?
    At which level of activity or volume is Squid considered as a best practice ?
    Other recommended proxy than Squid ?

Thanks for your advice.

Notes :
    Products are Apache, Horde Webmail with Postfix + dovecot, wiki is Dokuwiki, Drupal CMS, MySQL.
    OS is Debian Lenny (a VPS at a web hosting company).
    Hardware is 2gb (512mb guaranteed), disk is 40gb (with 5% currently used).

Bye,
    Bruno

squid is probably the de facto proxy to use, so I wouldn't look for an alternative.

That said, offering a proxy to users not on your network might not be the greatest idea. The reason I say that is all their internet requests are going to have to go through your proxy. too many of those connections and you would kill your bandwidth.

Linux Newbie
    jledhead, sorry but you're confusing me : as far I understood a proxy should save bandwidth (as one of its main goal), no ? But you mentioned the reverse result. Could you go deeper in explanations please ?
    Thanks. Sorry if I'm confused.

Note: indeed all requests to my website are going thru internet as my VPS server is hosted in a web hosting company.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    a proxy doesn't magically save bandwidth. squid can be setup to cache, but thats not what you asked.

What I was saying was if you have your squid server at your vps, with limited bandwidth, and then you start giving it out to friends and family, all of the traffic you have them hitting the proxy for will be taking your vps bandwidth. For example, a friend you configured to hit the proxy opens their web browser and goes to download a debian cd. they browse on the internet as normal and then click download to get the cd. That traffic is all going from debian servers ---your proxy---friends machine. and setting squid up in caching mode would not have fixed that. caching mode means the first person to hit google through your proxy would trigger the google logo to get cached, now the next person to hit google through your proxy would get the google logo from your cache and not from google. they are still using your bandwidth though.

I never said it wouldn't work, just that if I was paying for hosting and paying for bandwidth, I would not waste it on a proxy.