Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have a strange problem with file permissions on my Centos server. When file permissions are set to 644 a php file will work...and when set to 777 it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

File permissions problem

Hi

I have a strange problem with file permissions on my Centos server. When file permissions are set to 644 a php file will work...and when set to 777 it doesn't.

This has mostly arisen when people are installing various scripts...which need a 777 for install, and has happened with seperate, completely different scripts. I don't understand it as I would have thought setting the permissions higher couldn't allow something to work less well.

Is there anything in the config that would create this situation?

Thanks!

Piglet

Quote Originally Posted by piglet77 View Post
    Hi

I have a strange problem with file permissions on my Centos server. When file permissions are set to 644 a php file will work...and when set to 777 it doesn't.

This has mostly arisen when people are installing various scripts...which need a 777 for install, and has happened with seperate, completely different scripts. I don't understand it as I would have thought setting the permissions higher couldn't allow something to work less well.

Is there anything in the config that would create this situation?

Thanks!

Piglet
    Look into php_suexec, that will answer your questions.
    The problem with developing something completely foolproof is underestimating the complete ingenuity of fools ~Unknown