Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for a server os to suit my needs and unfortunately I'm new to the whole networking bit as well, so I'll be doing a lot of studying and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux - LF Server for My Needs

I'm looking for a server os to suit my needs and unfortunately I'm new to the whole networking bit as well, so I'll be doing a lot of studying and reading. This server will be a central unit for an educational music computer lab of 8 computers. We will be charging people for use, so it will run much like a computer cafe.

My server needs to be able to do the following:
    - Log Scripts (Know what people used, how many prints they did)
    - Print Sharing
    - File Sharing
    - Manipulate Read Write Protections
    - Block Out From Manipulating Settings
    - Create and Delete Many Users (as many will come and go)

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

You can take a look at this poll to get an idea about which server distributions are the favorites of our membership. I don't see anything in your listing that should hinder you from adopting pretty much any server distribution that you might want to use. You can always add any applications that you might need if your distribution of choice doesn't come with them.

At the bottom of the first post in the current poll is a link for last years favorite server distro poll should you want to go back that far.

Do let us know what you decide to go with and how it works out for you, and best of luck with your project.
    oz

Just Joined!

Applications?

Sounds good, I'll check that out. According to my list, are there any applications in mind (according to my list) that you would recommend? Particularly event logging, we will probably printing logs fairly regularly since we will need to know what the users were using, and how many prints they are printing.