Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am starting a health care practice and I am looking at various options for patient database server. I am not an expert, but I can manage software and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Linux Server Distro to choose.

Hello,

I am starting a health care practice and I am looking at various options for patient database server. I am not an expert, but I can manage software and hardware installation and customization.

I am planning to use a LAMP server. I used Red Hat about 5 years ago and I recently tried Ubuntu for a few hours. Many Linux server sellers are using Ubuntu. I looked at some of the posts and the server Poll but they weren't helpful.

Which one would you recommend and why?

Thank you,

hal9tsnd

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to the forums.

There isn't a correct answer to your question. Generally I recommend people to use the Linux OS that they are most familiar with, so if you have experience with Red Hat, you may want to take a look at Red Hat Enterprise Linux or CENTOS (if you like RHEL but don't need the Red Hat support package). Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE and others will do just fine, so if possible take a few distros for a test drive and choose which one works best for you.