Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings everyone I come from a Windows background and am struggling with Red hat linux command line. I am trying to use KDE and Gnome as much as possible to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile apache on RHEL

Greetings everyone

I come from a Windows background and am struggling with Red hat linux command line. I am trying to use KDE and Gnome as much as possible to avoid using command line.
    I want to learn how to use Apache in Red hat linux. What is the best way for me to learn it?
    Is there a GUI that I can get comfortable with and then later learn command line?
    Or is it better to force myself to learn how to configure Apache with command line?
    If you think command line is better than where can I find documentation that would make it easy for a beginner like me.

I just want to thank you in advance for assisting me

Cheers!

nellison-

Just Joined!

apache install in Gnome/KDE

Hey Everyone,

Can you tell me what the difference is between Apache and Tomcat Apache? Is Tomcat a certain type of Apache server or is it the same thing?

Also, how does a Linux Admin usually install and configure Apache in a production environment? Do they usually use Gnome or KDE or command line?

I'm from a Windows environment and am not comfortable with command line. If I started working for Linux company would the expectation be that I use command line to configure Apache?

Can someone show me where there is documentation to install Apache in Gnome or KDE? Is it a package I have to install?

Thanks for your assistance!

hi,

Quote Originally Posted by nellison4u View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Can you tell me what the difference is between Apache and Tomcat Apache? Is Tomcat a certain type of Apache server or is it the same thing?
    Apache is a webserver.
    That means in its simplest form, that it provides static files via http.
    The apache webserver“s capabilities can be extended with various modules (mod_rewrite, mod_auth, etc) to fulfill about any aspect of http mangling and content delivery.
    It can also output dynamic content by using languages like php (mod_php), perl (mod_perl), python (mod_python), etc or CGI scripts.

Apache Tomcat is a java Servlet container
    Apache Tomcat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    They are both projects from the Apache Software Foundation, but independent of each other.

Also, how does a Linux Admin usually install and configure Apache in a production environment? Do they usually use Gnome or KDE or command line?
    Commandline.
    Forget GUIs

I'm from a Windows environment and am not comfortable with command line. If I started working for Linux company would the expectation be that I use command line to configure Apache?
    Sorry if that sounds rude, but a unix admin without commandline skills is useless.
    On the good side: It is possible to learn and even enjoy the commandline.
    It is entirely possible, that you will start cursing GUIs for their in-flexibility once you mastered the basics of the commandline.

Can someone show me where there is documentation to install Apache in Gnome or KDE? Is it a package I have to install?
    Depends on the linux distribution you are using, but each one has a package manager to install packages like apache, php, mysql, etc

Look here:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!

apache GUI

Does that mean there is no Apachi GUI? Because at least then I could get familiar with the GUI and then go to the command line.

Or do you think this is still a bad idea?

Just Joined!
    Apache itself does not include a GUI. There are GUI interfaces to it in some other programs such as Webmin and ISPConfig3. A pure server doesn't usually run any desktop so should be configurable via shell and web based tools.

Just Joined!
    Irithori,

would you be interested in tutoring me? I have an interview coming up in two weeks and need to get familiar with installing and configuring Apache server.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The best way to learn is to have a go. For safeties sake, I would have a dedicated or virtual machine. Given that this is for a career then I would go with Centos as everything you learn will apply to RedHat. There is a great tutorial at Howto Forge. I would also take the time to Google the things it is talking about and to read the man pages for the commands they use.

Follow that and you'll see that the command line isn't so scary.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!