Find the answer to your Linux question:
What AMD64 Linux distribution would you guys recommend for use on a high-traffic production server with AMD64/Opteron CPUs? I'm currently looking into Debian's AMD64 port for Sarge (I know, not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

AMD64 Server Distribution

What AMD64 Linux distribution would you guys recommend for use on a high-traffic production server with AMD64/Opteron CPUs? I'm currently looking into Debian's AMD64 port for Sarge (I know, not released yet), Ubuntu, Red Hat Enterprise, and Fedora Core. Which one of these is the most stable/robust? I'd prefer to go with a Debian-based distribution (due to their package management system), but of course stability is more important than convenience.

Thanks.

Re: AMD64 Server Distribution

Quote Originally Posted by AfroDawg
    I'd prefer to go with a Debian-based distribution (due to their package management system),

Thanks.
    if your talking about apt, just know that apt is no longer restricted to debian. apt can be installed on redhat and fedora core (probably others) and have repositories for those distros. check the sig

I'd recomend gentoo, because it'll allow you stream line your server only to have the apps you want. Also the "packer manager system" of gentoo the emerge command is as easy as apt (unless I've missunderstood apt (my "understanding": 'apt package' installs it with it's deps)), emerge allows you to somewhat controll how the software is installed (via the USE flag), dn't know if apt gives you such options. The trade off is that gentoo compiles every package (read: there are a few exceptions) something which can take time, on the other hand the software is then optimized for you computer/server.
    Basically the emerge-system works like:
    Code:
    # emerge -Dpt packet_name
    Shows the depency tree of the packet name (well, it shows the missing deps, which it will emerge before emerging "packet_name")
    # emerge -D packet_name
    Installs the packet
    # emerge unmerge some_other_packet
    will un-merge(uninstall) "some_other_packet"
    (I use a stage 1 gentoo install on my amd64 machine and it works fine, also, the IA32 emualtion libs works fine too -- that's one thing Gentoo provides, means to make use of amd64's backward compabillity, the documentation also mentions how to make a 32-bit chroot enviroment)
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the responses so far. My biggest concern is robustness and stability of the distribution. In terms of that, how do different AMD64 distributions compare?

Well, I've only tried gentoo on my box, and it's runs just as stable as the 32-bit linux box - thus, rock solid. I don't think stabillity differs between different distors, I'd say/claim (though I got no scientific proof) that two different linux distrobutions (that uses the same kernel) are more stable than two different installs/versions of windows.
    As for robustness, well, not sure, but I think most distors are quite equal on that point to.

I'd say it all comes down to the personal preference of what packet/software manager to use and the general choice of "default" software. So in short, when choosing any linux distrobution, stabillity and robustnes isn't the biggest head ace (really 'tis no head ace at all )
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Gentoo update there packages to much for a server IMO plus you have to wait for them to build which is using resources and time.