Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 3 computers right now that are running Ubuntu, FreeBSD, and Win 7. I would like to be able to easily access my files from all 3. I was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] network storage options

I have 3 computers right now that are running Ubuntu, FreeBSD, and Win 7. I would like to be able to easily access my files from all 3. I was thinking of setting up NFS on the FreeBSD machine or make a dedicated FreeNAS machine. I would like to store media on the network so performance is an issue. What do you all think the proper solution to this would be?

Just Joined!
    Also, I may be editing some of the files if that makes a difference.

Just Joined!
    I set up a freeNAS box with CIFS/SMB and NFS running. I have the freenas drive mapped in windows 7 but I am having an issue in Ubuntu. I can access the drive through the GUI but I can't get it mounted into the directory I want. I followed a tutorial that had me enable CIFS and NFS, I don't know why. Can someone point me to some info so I can understand what exactly CIFS and NFS are and how they are used?

Just Joined!
    Ok I got it working. To mount it in Ubuntu I had to specify a username or it would require a password. Tried adding an fstab entry to auto mount it but it didn't work. I switched to an init.d script and found out it was probably because it tries to mount the nfs drive before the wireless connects so I added a "sleep" command to the top of the init script and now all is well.