Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I am having a little trouble placing a Java applet in a perl cgi web page (xttp://wisdom0/cgi-bin/test.pl - sorry I can't amke it live to the world. If I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Running Java applet in cgi-bin

Hello

I am having a little trouble placing a Java applet in a perl cgi web page (xttp://wisdom0/cgi-bin/test.pl - sorry I can't amke it live to the world.

If I use the following code I get no data and I get Java execution errors

<applet code="MainAppApplet.class" archive="quickpcad.jar" name="myApplet" MAYSCRIPT>
    <PARAM name="file" value="100386.pca.txt"/>
    </applet>

I know that by putting the jar in /var/www/html it will run, but I also get the following error

<applet code="MainAppApplet.class" archive="../../quickpcad.jar" name="myApplet" MAYSCRIPT>
    <PARAM name="file" value="100386.pca.txt"/>
    </applet>

(8)Exec format error: exec of '/var/www/cgi-bin/1100386.pca.txt' failed
    Premature end of script headers: 100386.pca.txt

If I move the data I get no error, but also no data even though the file can be navigated to with a url (xttp://wisdom0/cgi-bin/../../100386.pca.txt)

<applet code="MainAppApplet.class" archive="../../quickpcad.jar" name="myApplet" MAYSCRIPT>
    <PARAM name="file" value="../../100386.pca.txt"/>
    </applet>

However, if I launch this very same code in a new window (window.open js function) it works fine.

And if I try absolute URLs (ie. xttp://) it gives me cannot stat /var/www/html/http: errors.

I presume this has something to do with not being able to running Java applets in Apache cgi-bin, but I can't find anything that tells me how to get the best of both worlds - a perl cgi page with a java applet embedded in it.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong? Also, can someone confirm what happens when the window.open fn launches a new window - is it launching it as if it was xttp://wisdom0/ and not xttp://wisdom0/cgi-bin.

Thanks

Mark

p.s. please excuse the xttp:// - it appears to be a restriction of the forum

Just Joined!
    Problem solved - it was a file permissions problem