Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can the master ,slave ,caching only ,forward only can be configured on same dns server or not ?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS Server

Can the master ,slave ,caching only ,forward only can be configured on same dns server or not ?

Just Joined!
    i think same DNS server only

Linux Enthusiast
    By having multiple NIC (network cards) it would be possible. But since the idea of having a "slave" is so should something like a power loss on the "master DNS server", the "slave DNS server" is still powered and running. If the same machine is used, then all DNS would be dead at the save time.

As far as a DNS and a cacheing (yes this is a legal spelling and lazier people decide to use the other as it is does not require the extra "e" and I feel sorry as this word would not have the most commonly used English letter without the 'e') can be on the performed by a single server. I configure my firewall (real hardware) to provide my primary DNS for the the local network and it caches DNS to speedup stuff when needing to get off network. Works really nice that way.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I am not sure what the other folks are talking about, but it is certainly possible for a single DNS server to be master, slave, forward-only and caching (but not caching-only). Every DNS server always caches. Caching-only is one which is not authoritative for any zone, but which only caches.

Here are some examples.

My DNS server is master for about 15 zones. Each of those zones has a "type master" entry in the named.conf.
    ---
    zone "unixpeople.com" {
    type master;
    /* file "db.unixpeople.signed"; */
    file "data/db.unixpeople";
    allow-update {key dynupdates;};
    };
    ---

My server is concurrently a slave server for about 35 other zones. Each of those has a "type slave" entry in the named.conf.
    ---
    zone "unixpeople.ca" {
    type slave;
    masters { 206.191.28.248; };
    file "slaves/db.unixpeople.ca";
    };
    ---

If I wanted to funnel all the DNS requests for which I am not authoritative, through a central server, then I would add the following to the options statement at the top of the file:
    options {
    directory "/var/named";
    pid-file "/var/named/data/named.pid";
    forwarders { 9.43.73.97; };
    forward only;
    };