Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I am using redhat w/ the KDE deskop. Is 'Places' only for Ubuntu? I cant seem to find "Places" or "computer" anywhere........
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am using redhat w/ the KDE deskop. Is 'Places' only for Ubuntu? I cant seem to find "Places" or "computer" anywhere.....

Just Joined!
    My file manager is nautilus. I think the KDE distros have something similar. I access my file manager from a menu, but if the program is somewhere on your machine, try

nautilus --no-desktop --browser

from a terminal.

Some KDE equivalents are dolphin and Konqueror

Just Joined!
    Also, it doesn't look like you have a Folder named trikes, just a file trikes.txt. I'm hunting with birdshot here... scatter-pattern answers

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImChipBrown View Post
    Also, it doesn't look like you have a Folder named trikes, just a file trikes.txt. I'm hunting with birdshot here... scatter-pattern answers
    That would be correct. /root/var/www/TRIKES.TXT that file is in the www folder. Im goin to try and find out the share info using nautilus

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by smurff289 View Post
    That would be correct. /root/var/www/TRIKES.TXT that file is in the www folder. Im goin to try and find out the share info using nautilus
    Sorry that file path is wrong. Its /var/www There is nothing in the root. aside from the desktop and a few random files. so ok... I have nautilus open and have found my file. the folder and the file are shared to root and users. mfitzpatrick is a member of users/root/admin now. Primary is root. The owner of the file is mfitzpatrick. aside from right clicking the file and choosing properties is another way to share this file that i missed? I shared the file out that way before.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by smurff289 View Post
    The owner of the file is mfitzpatrick. aside from right clicking the file and choosing properties is another way to share this file that i missed? I shared the file out that way before.
    I have yet to find a way to share this file.... I have edited the permissions tab but I do not have any options anywhere for sharing not when I right click the file/folder or in the properties for the file/folder.

***** I do have a tab called 'Local Net Sharing' When I click on the tab It has a message that says ' Error running 'filesharelist'. check if installed and in $PATH or /usr/sbin.' *****

Just Joined!
    Do a Google search on "linux var folder". This folder is not usually shared over a network. Who knew?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImChipBrown View Post
    Do a Google search on "linux var folder". This folder is not usually shared over a network. Who knew?
    Ok.... So if I move that file to a difffernent folder it should work? Ill be able to write to it? so something like... /usr/share should be safe... Thanks for the heads up on the VAR folder!

Just Joined!
    I get the same error message on the local net sharing. I looked in the /usr/bin and the filesharing file is not there.

Just Joined!
    What's wrong with having a directory under /home/yourname ? I have a large number of folders inside my /home/steve/ directory. If you don't like that, the /media directory seems to be an OK place to put stuff. Basic question... do you "mkdir" to create completely empty directories? And chown them?

(I may be guilty of using/misusing the terms directory/folder. )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast