Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, just 2 quick questions for everyone. I'm running an SSH server on my box, and I wanted to know 2 things: 1) If I'm looking for a URL I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 SSH Tunnel Questions (Logs, and speed)

Hello, just 2 quick questions for everyone. I'm running an SSH server on my box, and I wanted to know 2 things:
    1) If I'm looking for a URL I visited using an SSH tunnel (i.e., remote box -----> server running SSHD -----> remote website), where would I look/whereabouts does the server keep a log of visited sites or traffic, or does it do so?

2) I know the server is capable of quite high speeds (97MB/s actual download), however, when tunneling, I get a max download speed of around 50-60KB/s - any ideas why this would be, and if I can change it?

Thanks in advance.

-Sharkyman

1) a ssh tunnel is just a connection from one host to another, it does not care what data is transferred through it. so look at the applications that accessed the tunnel to get a look.

2)
    * find out who is the bottleneck in this tunneled connection
    * consider ssh tunnels encrypt the data ==> overhead in traffic and server load

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your reply. Just to confirm, there is absolutely no logging by default, it simply passes on the request to the external web server? Thanks very much.

-Sharkyman

You may will find information about ssh logins/logouts/authentications/probes from the sshd auth logfile. Furthermore you could try to set up your manual logging. For example something like:

Code:
    ssh user@host | tee -ai logfile.log
    should log all the commands you enter and are sent to the session at the remote host. Sorry, I don't know more than that.