Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Setting up Samba on a CentOS 5.5 VM and attempting to connect from a win7 on the same network (192.168.1.0/24). Finished setting everything up u(including iptables) Currently I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba - Can't authenticate

Hi,

Setting up Samba on a CentOS 5.5 VM and attempting to connect from a win7 on the same network (192.168.1.0/24).

Finished setting everything up u(including iptables)
    Currently I have these "shares" set up:
    [global]
    guest account = smbguest
    netbios name = FLUFFYGERBIL
    security = share
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    workgroup = WORKGROUP

[homes]
    comment = Home Directory
    read only = No
    browseable = No
    valid users = %S

I've tried logging in (\\FLUFFYGERBIL) and got the standard windows user/pass chalange. No matter what I do can't get it to authenticate. I've tried smbguest, root, FLUFFYGERBIL\smbguest and FLUFFYGERBIL\root as users (with the correct passwords). always "logon failure: unknown user name or bad password". I found that windows 7 has all sorts of issues and tried modifying gpedit as described in some page which I cannot add to this post since the forums won't allow it (15 post rule!?). Basically it's regarding LM and NTLM responses and encryption.

Can anyone tell me where to go on from here? I couldn't find in windows eventviewer the actual entries (if there are any) that would tell me the specific problem. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Hi devboy,

Have you tried to add the parameter hosts allow to the smb.conf file?

If it doesn't work, then I would try if using the parameter guest ok = yes works.

Aleix

did you actually create your smb users on your box? you might need to try something like this:

Install Samba Server on Ubuntu - How-To Geek
    linux user # 503963