Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to configure MySQL 5.1.47-1 server on RHEL5 x86_64 VM to use mounted FS for innodb by setting innodb_data_home_dir in /etc/my.cnf file. When innodb_data_home_dir is set to a mounted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Can't configure MySQL server to use mounted FS

I'm trying to configure MySQL 5.1.47-1 server on RHEL5 x86_64 VM to use mounted FS for innodb by setting innodb_data_home_dir in /etc/my.cnf file. When innodb_data_home_dir is set to a mounted FS, the server fails to start with the following message: Manager of pid-file quit without updating file.[FAILED]. If I change innodb_data_home_dir to a local FS, the server starts w/o problems.

Any help will be appreciated.
    -- Lev

Linux User
    ?mounted FS?
    Sorry I don't get this one ... all file systems need to be mounted to use them ...

I am guessing you mean that you use nfs to mount a folder at a different computer.

What's your "innodb_data_file_path"?
    Check that the user running the mysql database is allowed to write at the nfs folder.

read following:
    [13 Jun 2008 20:27]
    [4 Jul 2008 3:49]
    @ MySQL Bugs: #37165: MySQL-*-5.1.25-0.glibc23.x86_64.rpm fail to install on Fedora 9 x86_64

Just Joined!

Can't configure MySQL server to use mounted FS

Hi zombykillah,

Thanks for quick response. I meant that this FS was mounted after the VM had been created. Access to this FS is provided via /mnt/... link, unlike 'local' FS. Actually, this is virtual machine, so there is no real local FS. Of course, I made sure the 'mysql' user has full access to the folder where I wanted to put InnoDB files, I've chown'ed the folder to 'mysql' user, but this did not help, as well.

Thanks for the link. I'll try to follow some recommendations from it.

Thanks again,
    -- Lev

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up Can't configure MySQL server to use mounted FS

Fortunately, the problem has been resolved by using a kind of 'trick' solution:
    since MySQL server creates its files in the /var/lib/mysql folder, we've mounted the FS (where we wanted the InnoDB files to be placed) to the /var/lib/mysql directory. The MySQL server then started successfully.

Thanks,
    -- Lev