Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, This is on a GoDaddy VDS, CentOS. Trying to upgrade PHP from 5.1.6 to 5.2.4 or whatever is higher so I can install Joomla 1.6B3, so I went: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Yum PHP update not working

Hello Everyone,

This is on a GoDaddy VDS, CentOS. Trying to upgrade PHP from 5.1.6 to 5.2.4 or whatever is higher so I can install Joomla 1.6B3, so I went:

yum update php

But "no packages marked for update" was returned. So I cleaned the yum cache, but the same problem. Any ideas?

Which version of CentOS are you using? Have checked the version of php in repositories of CentOS?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    solve your problem? for centos not a problem upgrade to last php version.
    Last edited by ras.su; 06-18-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: add ? sign

Just Joined!
    Presumably 5.1.6 is the latest version in the repos that you are using (so you're probably on CentOS 4.x). You could upgrade to CentOS 5, or try adding this repo: jasonlitka .com/yum-repository/

Just Joined!
    Hey, sorry, had internet access troubles, couldn't get online to check or reply.

Version of CentOS is 5.4 Final

I found a link, but I can't post the URL since I haven't made 15 posts. It's on the CentOS wiki, title is: HowTos/PHP 5.1 To 5.2

And I think that will help me, however I'm really new at linux, so I'm slightly afraid I'll bung something up. Can someone at least confirm that those instructions will help?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Which version of CentOS are you using? Have checked the version of php in repositories of CentOS?
    This is going to sound really stupid, but how do I check the repositories? Googling has led me to learning that v5.2 had PHP version 5.1.6 (what I'm trying to upgrade from), but I can't find anything about c5.4...although I could assume that it's the same.

The CentOS wiki has been of some help with the upgrade instructions...at least I think. I'm not Linux-smart enough yet. Le sigh.

Just Joined!
    Okay, so I followed the instructions above, and received this error:

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    * addons: p3plmirror01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net
    * base: p3plmirror01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net
    * extras: p3plmirror01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net
    * update: p3plmirror01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net
    addons | 951 B 00:00
    base | 2.1 kB 00:00
    http ://dev.centos.org/centos/%24releaserver/testing/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    Trying other mirror.
    Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: c5-testing. Please verify its path and try again

Did some searching, and the only topic was on the CentOS forum where the guy/gal hard-coded rather than used /$releaserver/. But I have used it in my CentOS-Testing.repo file.

Just Joined!
    Also, yum clean all doesn't solve the problem.

Execute this
    Code:
    yum repolist
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    0.o I found a typo in the repo path. There was an extra "r" a la /releaserver/ rather than /releasever/

Problem solved!