Find the answer to your Linux question:
(Sorry for the xxx below, newbs are not allowed to post certain banned strings.) I want to mirror a website using wget -r, but even after reading the wget manual, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wget: "following links" vs. "retrieving directory tree"

(Sorry for the xxx below, newbs are not allowed to post certain banned strings.)

I want to mirror a website using wget -r, but even after reading the wget manual, I'm still a little unclear on how it works. With a command like:

Code:
    wget -r --level=inf hxxp://xxx.foo.com/bar
    will wget automatically follow all html links and recreate the entire directory tree under the bar/ directory? What if I don't want to follow any html links but still want to recreate the entire directory tree under the bar/ directory? What if I want the opposite: I don't need the directory tree but just want to follow all links in bar/index.html, up to say, N links away from index.html? I don't see how these operations could be distinguished using wget's recursive retrieval capabilities. Thanks for any input!

Linux Guru
    Code:
    man wget

--mirror
               Turn on options suitable for mirroring.  This option turns on recursion and time-stamping, sets infinite recursion depth and
               keeps FTP directory listings.  It is currently equivalent to -r -N -l inf --no-remove-listing.
    Wget doesn't know about a "directory tree" under /bar unless there is an http link to the folder. If you want a backup independent of the webserver (folders, files, etc.) then you're better off using something like rsync.

Just Joined!
    Ok that would explain my confusion. So wget really can only follow links; those "mirroring options" don't guarantee anything about recreating the complete directory tree?

Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    Code:
    man wget

--mirror
               Turn on options suitable for mirroring.  This option turns on recursion and time-stamping, sets infinite recursion depth and
               keeps FTP directory listings.  It is currently equivalent to -r -N -l inf --no-remove-listing.
    Wget doesn't know about a "directory tree" under /bar unless there is an http link to the folder. If you want a backup independent of the webserver (folders, files, etc.) then you're better off using something like rsync.