Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have the latest ubuntu and it seems to be all fine except I am trying to connect to my mshome XP network without any luck. I have installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot connect to XP Mshome from Linux

Hi,

I have the latest ubuntu and it seems to be all fine except I am trying to connect to my mshome XP network without any luck.

I have installed Samba and in Network places it shows Workgroup and MSHome.

Click on MSHome and I see my XP boxes.

Click on an XP box and I get.. You can stop this op etc' then I get the 'Unable to mount - Failed to retrieve share list from server' error.

I have been on this for 3 days now and just about over it I'm sorry to say.

The forums are thick with threads like mine without any definitive answers.

Please help me as I do want to try Linux.

I had a distro called MEPIS on before Ubuntu and with these same machines I was able to connect to the network without any problems so I am baffled why I can't now.

Thanks

oz

do you have any shares defined and exported? are other XP machines able to connect? can you export shares from ubuntu to XP? can you do anything over the network between the 2 boxes?
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I rebooted the Linux box and now I am able to see it in the XP box under the folder Workgroup wheareas the others are in MSHome.

I did a traceroute from Linux to an XP box and it did show the route in .826ms.

Ping from Linux to XP was okay too.

So it looks like now I can connect but we are in different groups.

How do I get them on the same path?

Thanks for the reply.

oz

edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file. in there, there should be an option for workgroup somewhere.
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Thank you.

Yes I found it and it named the group WORKGROUP, so I guess I need to change that to MSHOME.

I tried but it was 'read only'.

How do I get into gui as admin to make the change?

Thanks again

oz

open a terminal, and run
    sudo gedit
    and enter your password.
    this will open your text editor (I hope you're using gnome) with admin permissions. Then load the file, and save with your changes. make a backup first to be safe.

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Many thanks.

Yes I changed the Workgroup to MSHOME.

I can now see and access the Linux box from my XP box although there is only Printers and Faxes showing. I have not yet 'shared' any Linux drives and that will be my next query once I get the Linux box to see the XP drives.

I still cannot access the XP box from Linux although I see all XP boxes in the Network - File Browser screen.

In that same screen I see the red Windows Network icon.

When I open that icon I see the red 'MSHOME' icon.

When I open that icon I see all the XP boxes as wll as the Linux box. The title is Windows shares on mshome.

Also in the Properties of one of the XP boxes, the Permission tab says, 'permission of smb' could not be determined.

So here I am still unable to actually get into an XP box but closer than before.

Many thanks for the help.

oz

Just Joined!
    Okay,

I can get to the Linux box from the XP box now but so far can only share the public folder in my home dir on Linux. I can transfer folders and files to there tho.

but the Linux box cannot still get into the XP boxes.

Still says..
    Unable to mount and failed to retrieve etc..

What still needs to be done to get from the Linux to XP now that I can go from XP to Linux?

Many thanks,

oz