Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am seeing long delays on large messages. the delay is not in spamassassin since messages over 250k are not fed to it. Delay is proportional to size eg 32 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sendmail delay on large mesages

I am seeing long delays on large messages. the delay is not in spamassassin since messages over 250k are not fed to it. Delay is proportional to size eg 32 mins for 7MB. Doesn't consume resources or sit in queue just disappears for a time and then appears to be delivered some time later. Log entries show arrival and delivery. Any thoughts?

Just Joined!
    Further details - the big message does go to mailq but sits there while smaller messages come and go - but not heavy traffic. A manual flush causes it to be delivered immediately.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlRog View Post
    Further details - the big message does go to mailq but sits there while smaller messages come and go - but not heavy traffic. A manual flush causes it to be delivered immediately.
    Good morning,

Silly question, but do you have sufficient uplink speed for the (larger) messages to be sent at a rapid rate? On average, the upstream speed of consumer-grade connections (ie: cable modem or DSL) is only about 20% of the advertised download speed, so if you're not using a dedicated server at a data-center or a business grade connection, you might want to get one of the (many) bandwidth monitoring programs for Linux and see if the delay is actually the message sending. I recommend "vnstat" for our customers.

Of course, it could be disk thrashing or a number of other items, but the above question had to be asked before diving too deep into things. ;0

John C. Young
    Managing Director
    Internet Gateway of South Beach

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    No, it's nothing to do with message transmission (in data centre) or thrashing. I've tracked it down to procmail, when it detects a large message, rather than passing to Spamassassin puts it straight on mailq. OK so far but it then sits there saying 'sending' but doing nothing. Auto flush was set to 1 hour so sometimes long delay. I've reduced that to 10 mins so always delivered in that time. That's OK but doesn't answer question of why queue is acting like that.

Just Joined!
    Hello,

having exact the same problem on one of my Servers - did you find a solution on this?

Andreas

Please start a new thread with detailed instruction on the problem, this thread is over 1 year old. *locking*
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.