Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I have been trying to setup a Samba share now for a number of days and have been reading guides on the net in a attempt to achieve ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba Config

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to setup a Samba share now for a number of days and have been reading guides on the net in a attempt to achieve this.

The box is running CentOS 5 with Samba version 3.0.33.

When I installed CentOS I created a disk partition named /share and this is where I'd like all the shared documents to be placed.

Here is the contents of my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

Code:
    [global]
    workgroup = LINGRAY
    security = user

[files]
    comment = Work area files
    path = /share
    read only = No

[home]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /home
    read only = No
    Changed the permissions on share folder for test:

Code:
    drwxrwxrwx   3 craig lingray  4096 Apr 20 13:17 share
    I then created a user account (craig) and set the password within the samba database (smbpasswd -a craig) which was fine. I got my Vista machine and attempted to access the server from run where I was asked for a username and password. This allowed me on to the server but when i try to access share it states that the folder couldn't be opened as the network resource doesn't exist?

Is there anybody that can help with this?

Many Thanks,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just noticed this in the logs (/var/log/smbd.log) if it helps at all:

[2010/07/06 11:37:33, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1013)
    '/share' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to [files] Error was Permission denied
    It's strange because the linux user and samba user both share the same login credentials and the /share folder is owned by the account as well. I'm really lost with this one.

I get the same thing when i try to access the home drive as well:

[2010/07/06 11:41:10, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1013)
    '/home/craig' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to [home] Error was Permission denied

Just Joined!

Smile Resolved

Okay found out what the issue was and thought I'd post it here just in case somebody gets a similar issue. It turned out to be SELinux, disabling that seems to have resolved the issue!

Now just need to find out why so i can turn it back on :S