Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. First of all, would 4 or 5 websites, 1 ftp server (when downloading by someone or a few persons or one, concretize) and one mail server (not many emails, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mail/ftp/web servers, on VIRTUAL!! dedicated server. Also resource usage. For Centos.

Hi. First of all, would 4 or 5 websites, 1 ftp server (when downloading by someone or a few persons or one, concretize) and one mail server (not many emails, just to sound official and have a nice, spam-free email for myself). Websites with not that many, but some, later more visitors, quite high amount of images in some posts (a blog) eat much resources? Like CPU is ~1.8Ghz, maybe 1.6, Xeon, Rams are 1GB total. I'm not asking if it can run it, because i am using itfor other servers, i'm asking how much resources it would eat for each server?

Second of all, i could find guides for normal servers, dedicated ones, what about virtual dedicated servers? Please be sure what is a VDS though. So are there any tutorials for that? You cannot control a few things of this thing.

Also, can i use a few domains for those different websites and for the main computer, which wouldn't interract together? For example, you couldn't connect to the computer usign the domains, but you could connect trough the address given by your server provider, to be exat to a game server?

If you need a better explanation, please ask. Thank you for any answers to these questions.

And that would be for Centos 5. I'm not very advanced linux user.
    Last edited by newn; 07-07-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added Centos mark.

the guides should still be applicable to what you are doing, since the virtual server is most likey just a VM running on a hypervisor on an otherwise shared host (which to you, will just look like a regular machine)

you should be able to host multiple different websites with apache with multiple domains (subdomains most likely) like this Ask Lifehacker: Multiple subdomains?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the answer.

To be honest, i have found a shady guide for Centos. I've found hovewer a few guides for server machines, for other people to host, like a hosting company.

So anyway, i would like to ask these questions then:

Keep the question about resource usage for people, who might know...

And what about the 'best' web software? And why?

Thank you for your answers.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    it is difficult to say how much it would use

apache is a highly utilized web server that is in use everywhere

there are other smaller, more resource friendly ones if you would like to try them, such as lighttpd

with 1 gig memory, and 1.6 ghz i don't think there should be much problem for light traffic websites, even using apache

Just Joined!
    Thanks for answer. I already installed PHP, Apache and Mysql earlier today. Although, i have no idea how to configure http.conf file for those additional webhostings. I've tried configuring the virtual servers, as in lots of guides over the internet, but was unsuccessful.

Also, my VDS is using ~700-800 rams naturally, so for these there would be only 200-300 rams left. And about CPU i'm not sure, but i bet it's used a lot too. (Not sure, because there are crappy stats on the control panel).

its probably not reporting true free memory, you need to use free -m command to see free memory

Code:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          3267       2825        441          0        309       1092
    -/+ buffers/cache:       1424  1843

Just Joined!
    Currently 278MB is free. Wish i could check the CPU too, but someonoe's gave me some etc/hosts or something like that command, couldn't do it, no permissions.

/etc/hosts file has nothing to do with CPU

if you want to see CPU usage, you can use top command

Just Joined!
    Well, according to that, CPU usange is 0.0. Although, it should go up on some events a lot...

Thanks for that information.