Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there. I am brand new to the forums and still pretty new to Linux. About a year and a half ago, a friend of mine set me up with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Help with my server

Hi there. I am brand new to the forums and still pretty new to Linux. About a year and a half ago, a friend of mine set me up with a Linux Mandriva server for email, web pages and a file storage. It has been awesome up until a week ago.

My dog was playing with her ball, and it slammed into the side of the server. It suddenly started a long, slow beep....and stopped....then another long slow beep...and stopped. This pattern continued until I shut it down. I figured the RAM got knocked loose.

So I opened her up and secured everything and turned her back on. I still got the same long, slow beeps. I tried the RAM in another memory slot with no results. I thought that maybe something might have shorted out the motherboard when the ball hit the side.

So I tried to put the hard drive into another system, but it had a kernel panic, presumably because the original hardware was so old (we're talking AMD Atholon 133MHz processor, M7VIG ProD motherboard).

But now, I am stuck in this mess. I have a great server all set up on this hard drive, but I can't get it to work in another system.

I do have a smaller hard drive with Linux Mandriva installed on it. Is there any way to get my old server hard drive to work in a new system using the smaller Linux hard drive?

Linux Guru
    Did you check all the cards in PCI slots and whatever else you have?
    Check the power supply connectors, hard drive, etc... on both ends
    Do you know what the partition structure was on the drive? Was it using Grub bootloader? Any other operating system on the computer? What type of computer with what operating system(s) on it did you try installing the old hard drive in? Hardware specs? Without partition information it would be hard to suggest anything. Do you have any Linux Live CD you can use to get this info?

Also, make sure that where ever the ball hit on the case, is not dented and touching the backside of the motherboard. This could cause a short.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I have discovered that one of the capacitors on the old motherboard ruptured. I couldn't see it, because it was one of the capacitors right next to the RAM slots. It ruptured on the side facing the slots, so I couldn't see it. The thing ruptured and actually left a burn on the RAM slot. Yikes.

Anyway, the new system is a Socket 478 motherboard (I believe the Chipset is Intel, but I am having difficulty locating the specs for it) with an intel celeron processor, 2.20GHz 400FBS with 768 MB RAM. There are no expansion cards and the board doesn't have an AGP slot (Which is why I increased the RAM. The MB has integrated video).

I do not have a Linux Live CD. Can you point me in the direction of where to acquire one?

I tried to post a link to a site with the motherboard, but I haven't posted 15 times to the forums, yet. This is a description I found at ServerSupply.com:

HP/COMPAQ - P4 SYSTEM BOARD (MOTHERBOARD) SOCKET 478 FOR BUSINESS PC DX2000 DC5000 SFF (360427-001). Perhaps someone else will have better luck finding specs than I did.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    As you are used to mandriva - Mandriva Linux Downloads
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I can use Mandriva fairly well, but when it comes to installing drivers or more technical aspects, I fall short, unfortunately. I am learning as fast as I can, but I still don't quite understand how the software relates to the hardware.

For example, in Windows, I know that when you install a new piece of hardware and you don't have a disk, you have to find the drivers to get the hardware to work. With Mandriva, I am not quite sure yet....especially when it comes to a server. I am a bit out of my depth there. I can run the server just fine through Webmin, but that's about it.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    *Most* drivers will already be installed, here is how to install video drivers.

Pretty much all software you need to install will be available through the repositories so you won't need to get it from the web. I don't use Mandriva myself, but I'm guessing it will be under Mandriva Control Centre->Software Management.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    What I want to do is get the old hard drive to work in a new system. I tried to start it up (in the new system), but it did a kernel panic. The hard drive is fine; I was able to get files off of it when I plugged it into my own computer as a secondary.

I really need my server up and running, but if I start from scratch, there are elements of server set up that I don't yet understand (How to set up Samba, postfix, security settings, etc.). I already have a completely working system on my old hard drive, but it will not start in the new system.

I have a small drive which has Linux Mandriva installed on it. Is there a way to get the original drive to work in the new system using the small drive?

Just Joined!
    Anyone at all?