Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, What i want is to separate my storage from my server and virtualize my server. With a physical machine i always have to move data around. Also i like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Virtualize services and separate storage

Hi,

What i want is to separate my storage from my server and virtualize my server. With a physical machine i always have to move data around. Also i like to play with Virtual machines Other thing i want to separate services.

I have some experience with Ubuntu, Fedora, Amahi, ClearOS, Ebox, FreeNAS, unRAID, Proxmox.

I think what also is important that the NAS is supporting iSCSI. Openfiler a option? I must admit i have no experience with iSCSI.

Use Proxmox for virtualization? Maybe there are better solutions out there (Xen?). I like the Virtual Appliances of Proxmox.

What do you people recommend? Can you guide me in the right direction? Can you tell me your solution. Thank you.

I virtualized a server into 3 parts (database, application server and hypervisor) using qemu / xen on a debian machine. It worked like a charm. But there I did not virtualize the data storage as all data was stored in the database. For now I would not try it as long as the ZFS technology is not ported completely from solaris to linux. That could ease lots of things like replication / raid over multiple network volumes. If you need it now and ad hoc, simple smb / nfs / sshfs / davfs or other mounts can do the job without providing automatic replication/recovery mechanisms like a zfs would do. And which one of the above you pick depends on the kind of data that is being transferred. For large files and servers that are really distant I would recommend davfs, sshfs if it needs to be more secure (critical data), smb for intranet, ...

Just Joined!
    I don't know if you have the time and resources for studying, but if you do, maybe you can take a look at OpenQRM? It has all the things that you need worked out.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close