Find the answer to your Linux question:
Finally have my server up and running at home. Used for file storage, nothing more, nothing less. No email, nor is it a database server (though once I become more ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How much security is needed for a fileserver (HOME)?

Finally have my server up and running at home. Used for file storage, nothing more, nothing less. No email, nor is it a database server (though once I become more proficient with LINUX, I'll have a look at running Oracle). It's currently plugged into my router which can access the internet (should I need to update), but that's it - for the moment. So I'm wondering, how much security is needed for a 'simple' fileserver. And if it's more than the default installed (I'm using Unbuntu 10.04 with Samba), what parameters/switches etc. are needed?

Just point me in the right direction and I'll explore/do the rest

Thanks in advance

FBM

Linux Newbie
    Here is a "guide" to linux security you can start with.

I am assuming that the router it is connected to is of the typical broadband NAT/firewall router type and provides basic firewall features. If so, then you already have some protection and the minimum security for your box would be the normal password, not logging on as root, all services except only those needed turned of, etc...

If your router is not the typical as mentioned above, then I would implement a firewall (iptables) on your box also.

Just Joined!
    Thanks markcole!! it's connected to my broadband router. I'll look into 'iptables' as you suggested.

FBM

Just Joined!
    I like Configserver to help protect your server using iptables.
    Very simple to install and setup and does a nice job protecting the system