Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have a mysql database that was created several years ago and the password has been lost. I now need to access the database to make some changes. Is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Mysql database password

Hi

I have a mysql database that was created several years ago and the password has been lost. I now need to access the database to make some changes.

Is there any way to recover the mysql database password, or reset it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Linux Guru
    Do you mean recover the mysql root password? Check this link:

Recover MySQL root Password

Just Joined!
    I can start the mysql client without a password when I'm logged in as root. At that point you can examine accounts and reset passwords. I'm not sure if I did anything special to set it up that way.

Joe

Linux Guru
    Does that mean that your problem is resolved?

I'm not very familiar with LAMP servers or mysql in partiuclar although I do have it set up on my local computer.
    The root password for mysql is not the same as the root password for your Linux.
    The root password for mysql CAN BE the same as the root password for your Linux but can be and often are different.

How do you log in to mysql?
    I don't really know enough to suggest any more than checking the link if you have not done so already.

Just Joined!
    We have a root password for mysql on the server. We also have many "sets of data" in separate databases that we log into separately from the mysql prompt. Each database has it's own password and then from there we can look at the tables in that database and manipulate them.

Unforatunately, as the password is lost for this particular database I can't get in to look at the tables, update data, etc.

Is that a better explanation?

Thanks for your help

Linux Guru
    Are you unable to access this particular database as mysql root?

I did some searching for changing mysql database and everything I found was changing the user password which has grant privileges. Found the site at the link below which has a section "Changing Database Password" and thought I had found something but that also is to change user password?

Site-Helper.com -- MySQL Databases

Do you have the same user(s) for all databases? Same grant privileges?
    My knowledge of mysql is too limited to offer any other suggestons.
    Good Luck!