Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been working on a virtualization project at work and so far I have been enjoying kvm. I have two virtual hosts set up with one shared storage server. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KVM Virtualization

I have been working on a virtualization project at work and so far I have been enjoying kvm. I have two virtual hosts set up with one shared storage server. Eventually we are going to have around six virtual hosts setup and some kind of redundant shared storage. I just wanted to get some opinions on ways to set this up.

I need to have redundant storage servers for failover. Is there and easy way to do this using the kvm storage pools or will I need to do something different? I would also like to be able to do automatic live migration for loadbalancing and failover. I have done some searching and have not been able to find anything. Does kvm support this? I would also like an easy way to convert a live server to a virtual machine. I am playing around with the vmware converting tool but that keeps failing. I was planning on using that tool then converting the vmware image to a kvm image but have not been succesful yet. Are there any easier or better wasy to do this?

Thanks
    Jordan

Just Joined!
    Why don't you get a storage server on RAID 10 with a few drives and just mount from each VPS the storage that you need?

Just Joined!
    I currently have one server in a raid 5 acting as my storage. But if this one server were to go down this would take down all of our vm's. I need to eliminate that single point of failure.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    * ZFS
    * Clouds / GRIDS

PS: sorry if the answer doesn't come any longer

Just Joined!
    Is zfs able to work across multiple servers? I can not rely on any cloud or grid because all of our servers need to be managed in house without a connection to the outside world.

Please read the ZFS specifications and implementation manuals. Further get familiar with cloud/grid storage/computing as that could be a more flexible alternative depending on future tasks your company wants you to get done. This matter is complicated and I cannot teach you all it takes just in a forum post.

Just Joined!
    I believe I have found the best solution for the storage servers. I am going to use this tutorial to set up a high availability nfs server.

Setting Up A Highly Available NFS Server | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

If you know anything about my other questions converning automatic failover with kvm I would appreciate the input.

Thanks