Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Looking forward for a mail solution with maximum uptime on mail server running postfix. What could be ideal solution for this where follwoing to be met. If for any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redundant mail solution on postfix

Hi,

Looking forward for a mail solution with maximum uptime on mail server running postfix.

What could be ideal solution for this where follwoing to be met.

If for any reasons hardware of server goes down we would at the mercy of God.

Is there some way to have a solution with another hardware in place where if hardware goes down then mail server should switch over to new mail server without any interruption on the mail?

Looking forward for expert inputs on this.

Reg,
    Sushil

First thing to figure out is do you want HA on accepting mail, delivering mail, or all.

It would be easy to setup multiple postfix servers with the same config and use separate external mx records. This would make sure you are always ready to receive mail. something like this DynDNS.com MailHop Backup MX: Secondary Mail Server Service is also an excellent backup mx.

if you want to cluster the actual postfix system, you need to determine where the problem can break down. you could use an external san for storage so either machine can use the storage. you could use something like drdb or glusterfs to create a cluster of disks across multiple machines, so if one goes down they storage (and its data) lives on.

so first figure out what must stay operational and what you can afford/configure.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Jledhead for your response.I wanted it to be done for all incoming and outgoing mails.
    As per your option of separate external external mx record,I liked it a lot.
    few more question as presently my MX is pointed to my mail server and it is doing everything how does this external mx record will work for me.Will I be able to see my mails,even when my mail server is down?Do I need to have separate url or need to provide separate POP settings at user end to access my mails?
    How exactly will it work.If you can share your thoughts on this that would be very helpful for me.

reg,
    Sushil