Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i have been trying to setup my first apache server hosting phpbb2 forum, all things seem to be ok, except i just can't get my server up! here is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

setting up apache in internet via router environment with d

i have been trying to setup my first apache server hosting phpbb2 forum, all things seem to be ok, except i just can't get my server up!

here is the details;

internet via a router which my global ip is placed in the router, then DCHP server set me an ip address for my pc, ie 192.168.2.101

i am trying to set the httpdconf to listen to the ip 192.168.2.101, and i tried mapping my pc's ip in the router, either way still not working. i am just stuck here. i am able to visit the forum from another pc in my network. what esle did i miss here? my router already locked a global ip for me.

I am completely new to these things, please can anyone help me? thanks a billion!

regards

PS:i am using Windows XP professional
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Guru
    Huh?! Do you mean that you're running apache on WinXP? If that's the case, then I cannot possibly help you.

Linux Engineer
    Probebly you have to create a rule in your router to relay traffic on port 80 through you router and to the local ipadress that your router gives your computer on the loca network. So it let http traffic through. If you can access you webbsite from your local network but not from outside this is the most probebly cause.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Thanks a lot there, i appreciate it.

Uh, i tried disconnected from the router and used dns2go software to solve the problem, and my the server still is not up!!! i did stop all the firewall and stuff(hacked once there), but still no sign of apache working, how do i noe if my server is running ok? Do u think it is because of my ISP's settings?

Thanks a lot for yr kind reply.

Best regards

Linux Engineer
    Had you verified that your webbserver worked on you localnetwork??? Are you running everything on one computer??. Which distribution did you run on your server?? the simpliest way to verify it running is to surf to your ipadress with a webb-browser. you can also verifiy that apache is up and running.

Code:
    ps -efl | grep http

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux User
    I think I'd better study all that first, i am going to try running apache on linux now. Gosh, it is freaking me out, IT is just too complicated, but i just can't give up, right!? Hardwork can heal some stupidity! I hope!

Thanks a lot guys, yr help means a lot to me.

Best regards

Linux Engineer
    Thats the spirit!! Dont give up, just work in the correct order. Make sure that you can access the site on your LAN first, before you are trying anything else..

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux User
    Thank you very much!

I just reorganized myself towards Linux last week, since Redhat Linux's Chinese langauge support is very sufficient, I deceided to put all my efforts towards learning Redhat and stick to it, as I am still in elementary level on Linux.

After successfully establishing myself a good knowlegde in both using and configuring Linux, and also will start learning bash scripting during the process, at last I will start compliing kernel or other applications.

Second, I will then begin learning HTML.

Third, I will then begin learning PHP, mysql and apache, also begin building my own web sever and website!

Fourth, Java.

Fifth, C language.

I am turning 27 years old now(27 in Sept), maybe it is late, but better than doing nothing!

I don't know If this is a good progress or not, do you have better recommendation?

Linux Engineer
    I think thats one approach....learn linux first an know how it workes and then learn more of specific applications.. another is to learn more about linux when setting up specific applications. Choose the approach that suites you...

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    If those are the things that you want to learn, it sounds like a really good order of events to me.
    As for your age, I think that you should go on learning as long as possible. Right now, I'm 20, but I intend to go on evolving until I die. After all, it's too fun to learn more to be able to stop, don't you agree? And, of course, I don't want to stop excercising my brain. Who knows what would happen?

Speaking of learning, could I kindly ask of you all to report any flaws in my English? I think that I'm writing good English, but then again, if I never get any input, how will I know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast