Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is a general Squid question. If you have experience with medium sized networks (300+ users) and Squid, this question is for you. I'm setting up a transparent Squid box ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

1 vs 2 nic's, server performance question (squid)?

This is a general Squid question. If you have experience with medium sized networks (300+ users) and Squid, this question is for you.

I'm setting up a transparent Squid box for 300 users. All requests from the router are sent to the Squid box. Squid box has one NIC, eth0. This box receives requests (from clients) and catches content from the web using this one NIC on its one WAN port, eth0.

Question: would it improve performance of the Squid box if I was receiving requests (from the clients) on eth0 and caching content on eth1? In other words, is there a benefit of using two NIC's vs. one? This is a public IP/WAN Squid box. Both eth0 and eth1 would have a WAN (public IP) address.

Current (working setup)
    Clients -> Router -> (eth0/WAN1) Squid -> (eth0/WAN1) www

Would this be (performance wise) better?
    Clients -> Router -> (eth0/WAN1) Squid (eth1/WAN2) -> www

I'm on a 12Mb line.

performance wise, I think doing this puts the strain on the cpu and not the nic, since iptables will be doing the routing between the 2 nics. so the machine is not only sending and receiving, but its doing NAT as well. If you have a good machine I think this is desirable (its what we do), I don't know the exact performance benefits other than how it will play with iptables.