Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Dear All, I have just installed centos 5.5 I need the guidance on how to install phpmyadmin. How can I access my mysql server I suppose on default no password ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Phpmyadmin centos5.5

Dear All,
    I have just installed centos 5.5 I need the guidance on how to install phpmyadmin. How can I access my mysql server I suppose on default no password rite? Hope to get some hints how to get started on this? Thank you.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie14 View Post
    Dear All,
    I have just installed centos 5.5 I need the guidance on how to install phpmyadmin. How can I access my mysql server I suppose on default no password rite? Hope to get some hints how to get started on this? Thank you.
    Hello,

You can simply do "yum install phpmyadmin" this will install phpmyadmin and the relevant app required for it. Once installed cd to phpmyadmin folder and do the following:

Code:
    cd phpMyAdmin
    mkdir config
    chmod o+rw config
    cp config.inc.php config/
    chmod o+w config/config.inc.php
    Now open http(colon)//localhost/setup/[/url]. Note that changes are not saved to disk until explicitly choose Save from the Configuration area of the screen. Normally the script saves the new config.inc.php to the config/ directory, but if the webserver does not have the proper permissions you may see the error "Cannot load or save configuration." Ensure that the config/ directory exists and has the proper permissions - or use the Download link to save the config file locally and upload (via FTP or some similar means) to the proper location.

Once the file has been saved, it must be moved out of the config/ directory and the permissions must be reset, again as a security measure:

Code:
    mv config/config.inc.php .
    chmod o-rw config.inc.php
    rm -rf config
    Now the phpmyadmin is ready to be used.

Regards,

Mohan

And for gods sake learn to use a search engine. There are SO many howtos around that can be found with "how to install phpmyadmin mysql".

Just Joined!
    Dear Mohan,
    I have tried early and tried again below is what I get

[root@localhost /]# yum install phpmyadmin
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
    * addons: centos.maulvi.net
    * base: centos.maulvi.net
    * extras: centos.maulvi.net
    * updates: centos.maulvi.net
    Setting up Install Process
    No package phpmyadmin available.
    Nothing to do

Just Joined!
    You will need to add the additional yum repositories rpmforge is best for this.

Based on your arch download one of these rpm

For i386 http(colon)//packages(dot)sw(dot)be/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.1-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm
    For x86_64 http(colon)//packages(dot)sw(dot)be/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.1-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm

Once installed import the GPG key as follows:

rpm --import http(colon)//apt(dot)sw(dot)be/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt

Verify the package you have downloaded as follows

rpm -K rpmforge-release-0.5.1-1.el5.rf.*.rpm

Install the package

rpm -i rpmforge-release-0.5.1-1.el5.rf.*.rpm

Once done run following

yum -y install phpmyadmin

This will install the phpmyadmin for you.

Regards,

Mohan

The universal way of installing phpmyadmin from the latest sources, which indeed include some important bugfixes and closed security holes is:

phpMyAdmin 3.4.0-dev - Documentation

Just Joined!
    Dear Mohan,
    I am confused with the term install here is the rpm or yum? Which is which? Thank you. You said once installed is it that once I have downloaded is it?

yum is a package manager likewise apt in the debian world. a package manager eases the installation because they ease the pain to resolve depending manually and keep track of updates and such. the underlying installation software is rpm, which also matches the type of files that packages come shipped in (*.rpm).

Please note that phpmyadmin is just a home page frontend to a mysql database and nothing more. It is completely nonsense in my eyes to install it using a package manager. All you need is to download the sources, unpack them somewhere below /var/www/ and configure it properly. Of course you would need a browser like apache2 and a mysql database that you can administrate with phpmyadmin. It doesn't even need to be on the same server.

Finally, please read the phpmyadmin documentation I posted before. All you need is described perfectly there.

Just Joined!
    Dear Mohan,
    When you say download this "Based on your arch download one of these rpm For i386 http(colon)//packages(dot)sw(dot)be/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.1-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm" Where would like me to store this into any specific folder?

Just Joined!
    Dear Klos,
    Ok I am trying to use your method in centos 5.5 the problem it ask me to upgrade my php to php 5.2. So when I do yum there is not upgrade it remains to 5.1.3? So then I followed some website and upgrade it then I got problem with php_mysql client not being compatible? So what is the correct procedure to do it? Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast