Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Can anyone help me find a reliable link about installation and configuration for setting up Sendmail server?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting Up Sendmail Server

Can anyone help me find a reliable link about installation and configuration for setting up Sendmail server?

Might I suggest trying Postfix (www dot postfix dot org), instead? In my experience, Sendmail configuration can be complicated and difficult to troubleshoot. On the other hand, Postfix is feature-rich, relatively easy to configure, secure out of the box, and has copious easy-to-understand documentation. If you choose to go the Postfix route, I might be able to help you further.

- N

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response N,

I might follow your suggestion, but first I want you to know what am I planning to do. I want to set up a email to sms where incoming emails will be forwarded to a gsm phone using kannel.

I have read some articles with postfix, do I still need to set up procmail for this?

Hi, rrperez,

I do not know a lot about Procmail, but it looks like it is a fancy email handling process that will run another process/script based on certain criteria you give it. As such, it looks like you would be using Postfix to hand off to Procmail, which would run a script to then hand off the messages to Kannel. I am guessing the use of Procmail will complicate your setup, and, if the call to Kannel is simple enough, Postfix can do that equally well on its own, probably much the same as it would hand anything off to Procmail.

So, you probably do not need to use Procmail. For instance, I have a setup that I use directly out of Postfix to autoreply to messages, and I am sure a similar setup could be done to pass messages to Kannel.

Having said that, obviously the main advantage of not using Procmail will be simplicity. However, depending on how Procmail handles it, the disadvantage of not using Procmail could be reduced security. Postfix will provide no additional security to an external script that it calls, and if that script fails to properly handle the input it is given, you could have an exploitable system on your hands. If Procmail does most of the processing, formatting, and hand off internally, then at least you are using a message processing program with input validation that has probably been vetted/tested by others.

If you still need more guidance, let me know, and I will do what I can. My references are elsewhere at the moment.

- Nathan

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response Nathan,

If Postfix can execute another process/script like Procmail do then I don't mind working out with Procmail anymore. My concern now is if Postfix can invoke this other process/script upon receiving incoming mails, because that will be the only way for me to be able to hand off message to kannel.

I really need guidance right now not only because I'm still unfamiliar with Mail Servers but also in Linux. Regarding with references, I really need a straight to the point reference for installation and configuration for Postfix.

Just Joined!
    I tried to do that a while ago when I was working for a telecommuncations equipment manufacturer. The issue is you are trying to go from intenet to cell networks.

While most cell phone do have an email receiveing capable address, they don't always accept it. The carrier sometimes blocks it. That is why the "good" server works with Blackberry phones. It bridges the two networks.

Try looking at Funambol. They have an open source server that does just what you want. It is a little hard to setup, but they have a pretty good community.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response larry,

Does it supports other phones like iPhone and Nokia phones? And also does it filter incoming mails and upon receiving sends notifications to cell phones?

If Funambol can do that, it will be a great help...

Just Joined!

It does iPhones

I know it does AT&T phones. Their website says it does Blackberry and iPhones as well. It connects to the phones using the ID code. Every cell phone has one. And it does push mail. I would download the open source version and play with it. If your company really likes it, there is always the commercial version.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response larry,

If it can do push email, does it support email from computer to message sms to cell phones?

Just Joined!
    It does push, but not exactly like email. Like I said earlier, they are two different types of networks. So it kind of bridges the two networks. Just like to "good" server does. It uses the SyncML protocol to link the two networks. You should download it and install it. They have a very good community.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast