Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

HPC with linux and windows

hi! i just heard many things from people about clustering old computers to make one powerful machine i got two extra machines having p4 and are 32bit and an AMD (phenom ii x4 64bit) can i cluster them and can i share the processing power from both windows and Linux? cause i trans code a lot of vids and also generate rainbow tables and for both i use windows so is there anyway that on master machine i use windows while the nodes use Linux to serve me

Just Joined!
    Cloud 9
    You could. But the amount of work it'd take to set up probably isn't worth the hassle. You would be better off selling the two old p4's for 50-75 dollars each, buying a decent CUDA enabled card (or depending on how many free 16x pcie's you have and how big your PSU is, buying a few of them) and letting those go to town.

I can find 8800 GT's for around 35 dollars each. GTX 260's for roughly 100. These would chomp away at transcoding much faster than any set of p4's.

ya that would do for the transcoding stuff but i have many processor intensive work to do like generate rainbow tables there are tools that crack passwords using CUDA but to generate the tables i need more processing power so i would need those p4s.

any other ideas?

4. $spacer_open