Find the answer to your Linux question:
ive run the ./configure and am now using the make to make the apache install. It has been running for a long time is this normal?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

setting and installing apache

ive run the ./configure and am now using the make to make the apache install. It has been running for a long time is this normal?

it could be a long time, depending on your computer. when you say long time, how long has the make process been running, hour, couple hours, day....?

Just Joined!
    well it seems to be an hour or so. Im very new to linux, so bare with me! I downloaded the source from apache.org. The i unpacked them. I used the ./configure --prefix="directory" then it told me to go to the directory and "make" the file. This is where it started, it seemed to go on for ever and looked as though it was repeating the code? I am using mandrake and if i can install software through it, shall i do this? how do i undo my manual install?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    if you just typed make then nothing is installed yet. the next step would be make install

its not still compiling is it?

for the newest version of apache, installing from source is generally the way to go