Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I know mostly servers require resources depending on the traffic and programs. Anyways I want to know what ram is recommended for a server with ubuntu. I will need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recommended Server Package

Hi I know mostly servers require resources depending on the traffic and programs.
    Anyways I want to know what ram is recommended for a server with ubuntu.
    I will need to run the following:
    GUI (GNOME or KDE) (MINIMAL version) and please tell me how to install the minimal version w/ a package manager.
    Webmin - control panel
    Apache

Currently I'm testing on a 512 MB the gui takes up most of the ram. Also is it mandatory to run vnc to view remote desktop? Isn't there a built in feature in the OS that may use less ram? Please share!

Hi and welcome to the forums!

For servers, there's no way to get minimal with Gnome or KDE. If you're going to use Ubuntu I'd recommend dropping down to a window manager. IceWM, TWM, Openbox are good choices that don't chew up a lot of CPU. All of these along with vnc are easily installed on Ubuntu from the command line using apt-get:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install icewm
    Look for it as a session choice in gdm (sign in manager). You might do okay with 512 but the cost of another stick of ram isn't much and would be well worth the investment. Also, you should turn off all unnecessary daemons and services.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    first of all thx for the info.

anyways i installed openbox and vnc is able to run and i can connect to the server from my windows pc using the vncviewer. After connecting all I see is a blank grey screen the mouse is able to navigate. There are no buttons or menus (as i thought)...I can right click it gives me options to launch web browser etc..
    I want to know is it possible to install some packet manager with which I can install apps..I just really need to install dc++ its sort of like IRC but not as big.. there aren't command line interfaces otherwise i would use one via putty.. there are only a few gui dc++ apps for linux so I have to go this way... anyways let me know how to install an app manager etc. thank you again.

5pyd3r I highly recommend that you go to Ubuntu.com and read over the help section. Almost all of your questions about the workings of Ubuntu are there. For instance, see this page about package management. Synaptic is also easy to to open from the command line:
    Code:
    sudo synaptic
    Remember, Google is your friend!
    By the way, good going on getting vnc working for you from Windows! That's not an easy thing to do!

Just Joined!
    I know I can get synaptics via ssh that's no problem.
    But how will I launch it when I am on vnc and looking at this blank open box screen

When logging into the vnc server, you should see a terminal. If it's not there, restart vnc and see if it comes up.
    Code:
    vncserver -kill :1
    Code:
    vncserver :1
    Then type "sudo synaptic" into the terminal and press enter. If you want to reach the desktop session, type into the terminal:
    Code:
    vncviewer 127.0.0.1:0
    As long as the desktop is actually running on the server, it should come up through vnc.