Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I have a Ubuntu server running Subversion, Trac and a Deki Wiki VM. I'm trying to clean up some processes and free up some processing power and noticed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why is MySQL on my SVN Server?

Hey guys, I have a Ubuntu server running Subversion, Trac and a Deki Wiki VM. I'm trying to clean up some processes and free up some processing power and noticed that MySQL is installed on this machine and is running numerous processes. For the life of me, I can't think of anything that would be using MySQL and I don't know why it is there or if there are even databases.

Is there a way to see if there are any MySQL connections or see what programs are actually using it? Does anyone know the default DB directory so I can see what's in it? Would there be any problems with removing it?

Thanks!
    -Ryan

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prioria View Post
    Is there a way to see if there are any MySQL connections...
    Log into your MySQL server with your local 'mysql' client. Then, send the query 'show processlist;' to get a list of connections.

...or see what programs are actually using it?
    You can try `lsof | grep mysql`. This shows you all of the open files on your system, and picks out only output lines containing 'mysql'. You'll see a bunch of 'mysqld' instances of course, but see if you find anything that's using 'libmysqlclient'.

Does anyone know the default DB directory so I can see what's in it? Would there be any problems with removing it?
    You can log into MySQL and use the query 'show databases;' to see an overview of what, if anything, is stored. There should be at least two databases there, 'information_schema' and 'mysql'.

The data directory on your system is probably /var/lib/mysql/mysql. But I don't advise doing anything with that. If you want to remove MySQL, do it through dpkg/apt or whatever package manager you use to be sure that nothing else depends on it being on your system.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I think that subversion may user mysql, or other sql database (mysql by default) for data storage. Even if it doesn't, a lot of other packages do. As PehJota suggested, connect to mysql and issue the command 'show processlist".
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!