Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to switch to fetchmail to fetch mail from gmail and a few other emails. Since I'm going to retrieve emails from more than one computer, I'm going to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Create .fetchids file from existing mbox

I'm trying to switch to fetchmail to fetch mail from gmail and a few other emails. Since I'm going to retrieve emails from more than one computer, I'm going to use the fetchall and keep options. Is there any way to populate the .fetchids file from my existing mbox files so I don't have to resort all my message or end up with duplicates?

Just Joined!
    Further research makes me believe this isn't possible, though it looks like a planned feature for fetchmail 6.4.

Instead, I think the only solution is to setup fetchmail + procmail as I planned, let it get all my email, then use formail to remove the duplicates before opening my email client. If anyone has suggestions on how to do this please feel free or let me know (I'm a complete noob to fetchmail/procmail). Otherwise I'll post whatever I come up with to help anyone else that might have this same issue.