Find the answer to your Linux question:
Setup: Debian Lenny Server, on a x-86 home built box with AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1100, 1900mhhz with 1 GB Ram, 120 GB IDE hard drive, using this guide - The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Static IP resolves domainname.com does not - Help!

Setup: Debian Lenny Server, on a x-86 home built box with AMD Sempron(tm) Processor LE-1100, 1900mhhz with 1 GB Ram, 120 GB IDE hard drive, using this guide - The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) With BIND & Dovecot [ISPConfig 3]

ISP: Bellsouth.net/ATT.??? with 1 Static IP Number.

Domain Name Registrar - Godaddy.com

Current Status: After opening ports on the DSL Modem and Belkin Wireless router. the initial install index page, Ispconfig3 and Squirrel-Mail can be resolved by the world (on a different IPS account that is.) using the static IP number assigned by Bellsouth. That Static IP number will not resolve on my ISP account.

I attempted setting up nameservers on Godaddy but have only 1 static IP and could not set them up.

I looked at the Google nameservers setup but their instructions told me how to set my local network/computer connection to their namesevers but nothing about pointing my domain name on Godaddy to the static IP so it would resolve.

I looked at several of the "Free DNS" services but am still totally confused as how to proceed.

Manual - I paid the price, about $7.00, and downloaded the ISPconfig Manual. Still can't find the answer.

I am sure its a DNS/Nameserver issue but ---- clueless in Mississippi

Any help greatly appreciated,
    eddie

Just Joined!
    hiya ejones.
    I assume you registered(bought) yr domain name off godaddy.
    What you now need is nameservers to host yr domain and godaddy requires you have two as per rfc.
    I'm pretty sure that godaddy also offers a DNS service where you can use their servers for your DNS, or you can look elsewhere. There's lots of cheap DNS hosting.
    Once you have your hosts:
    Set up the authoritive records for your domain that point to your static IP
    Point your domain from godaddy to the two new DNS hosts.
    Cheers