Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, we are using RedHAt enterprise for send mail and almost have 3000 clients with us. well I need to know regarding send mail that how can i find out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Send Mail Issue

Hello,
    we are using RedHAt enterprise for send mail and almost have 3000 clients with us.
    well
    I need to know regarding send mail that how can i find out

> those users who are enable over send mail server?
    >those users who are enable but not active?
    >those users who are enable and active as well?

your immidiate and kind support is awaited.
    regards
    Jami

You're probably going to need to give more details of your setup to get much help. It sounds like you may be using the sendmail MTA for mail relay--is that correct? Is it Internet facing, and are at least some of the clients outside your network? How do your clients submit mail for relay by your server? When you say "clients", are you talking about individuals using MUAs, or other servers running MTAs that relay via yours? Or both?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhairweenie View Post
    You're probably going to need to give more details of your setup to get much help. It sounds like you may be using the sendmail MTA for mail relay--is that correct? Is it Internet facing, and are at least some of the clients outside your network? How do your clients submit mail for relay by your server? When you say "clients", are you talking about individuals using MUAs, or other servers running MTAs that relay via yours? Or both?
    >for mail relay yes we are using sendmail MTA,
    >we usually uses emails for internal purposes but some of clients are allowed to send mails outside our netwrok.
    >its not an open mail server we have just allowed our domain name emails for query
    >we are using MUAs n MTAs scenario both

The purpose of this post to find out those users who are actually active and even sending emails.
    we need to triger out those users
    thanks for your post and will be waiting for your valuable reply
    Jami

Just Joined!
    plz i m waiting for your kind reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamikhan View Post
    >for mail relay yes we are using sendmail MTA,
    >we usually uses emails for internal purposes but some of clients are allowed to send mails outside our netwrok.
    >its not an open mail server we have just allowed our domain name emails for query
    >we are using MUAs n MTAs scenario both

The purpose of this post to find out those users who are actually active and even sending emails.
    we need to triger out those users
    thanks for your post and will be waiting for your valuable reply
    Jami
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamikhan View Post
    plz i m waiting for your kind reply...
    It was 1am here when you replied, have a little patience.

It's still not clear if the mail server is Internet facing and some of the clients external, nor do I understand "we have just allowed our domain name emails for query".

But some years ago I managed a domain using Internet-facing sendmail and pop services to support 20,000+ named e-mail users, some on the corporate network but mostly external, and who used a variety of MUAs. Answering the question of who was a user was simply a matter of querying the authentication database (an LDAP). Answering the question of who was active and who was inactive required knowing:
    --When did the user last send mail?
    --When did the user last receive mail?
    --When did the user last retrieve (pop) mail?
    --If the e-mail address was forwarded, when did the last successful and last unsuccessful forwards occur?

There are a lot of ways you could approach that. There was already a per-user Maildir for each, so what I did was write a script to parse the sendmail log and the pop log daily and touch a marker file in the Maildir for each of the events above. With those in place, simple "find" commands could be used to return lists of users, counts, etc.

No, I'm sorry, I don't still have any of the scripts.