Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got a project in school and we're supposed to design a server room and I have all the equipment for it but i was trying to decide on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu Server/Windows Network

I got a project in school and we're supposed to design a server room and I have all the equipment for it but i was trying to decide on a good server for eMail/Mysql Database/File,Print,Authentication.

I was going to use 3 different servers one for each type with Ubuntu Server for the OS. But i wasn't sure how well it would work of if I should just save more money and build them all onto one giant server or even use one machine with Virtualization.

Also was wondering how well an Ubuntu server could be integrated into a Windows domain.

We're supposed to be able to support 250users, 100 Mysql DB users, and they all need email accounts.

I'm just interested if the set up I want will work or if i should think of a different way of handling it all.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Please read the terms of use for the forums. We cannot help you with school projects and exercises/homework. That is why you are taking those classes! YOU are supposed to do the work on your own, or with study partners if that is allowed.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

It was more of a question of opinion on if people thought it would be better to Virtualize servers or just make an individual server for each type of server.

Also considering my classes do not cover Linux servers and I prefer working with them to a degree. And my teacher cant really explain them to me.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I got a project in school and we're supposed to design a server room and I have all the equipment for it but i was trying to decide on a good server for eMail/Mysql Database/File,Print,Authentication.
    It seems from this that it is part of a school project. However, if the project is just dealing with the hardware setup, then perhaps we can look at the software aspects of things, but I am still concerned that this will be trespassing on the Terms of Use for the forums. I'll wait until we get an opinion from one of the forum moderators before I continue this thread.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I don't have a problem with this Question, Rubberman. The OP has clearly thought through the problem he has, has several solutions and is seeking opinions, not answers. The homework rule is there to stop people saying 'I gotta do X for my course, can someone do it for me' kinda questions.

Anyway, back to the original question, here's my opinion. I think Virtualisation would help enormously. If you had one server with three VM's and you found the hardware couldn't keep up, you can easily migrate one (or more) VM to another physical machine - that's lots easier than setting up a new server and migrating the data/users/permissions, etc.

Samba will handle your integration to the Windwos domain, and handling that many users should be a breeze for a server even on hardware that's four or five years old.

As far as the server OS goes, just stick to server operating systems; if you're familiar with Ubuntu then Ubuntu Server is a good choice, or you could look at the system it's based on, Debian.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Thanks Roxoff, Thats helpful to my situation. I'm still kinda of looking into Debian so I'll probably just use Ubuntu Server for this project cause I know it better.

And virtualisation might actually save me more cash cause i wont need as much of the equipment as my teacher said we would need in the long run.

BTW I'm the first person in his class ever to use Linux for this porject.