Find the answer to your Linux question:
Currently I have my server setup and working (it seems) the way I like. But I want to set it to use a real domain. By this i mean, when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Setting computer domain?

Currently I have my server setup and working (it seems) the way I like. But I want to set it to use a real domain.

By this i mean, when I send mail I want it to be showing to the people it's sent to as username@domainname.com and not username@ipaddress.ISPprefix.com

I'm sure it must just be a little change to adjust this but I'm not sure how it's done.

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

In /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

add in the last line

MASQUERADE_AS(`yourdomain.com')

then re-write the /etc/sendmail.cf with m4 (howto in the header of sendmail.mc)

restart sendmail and you should be rocking...

//jonas

Linux Newbie
    Yeah I'd done that, but it's for recieving on those domains. It doesn't actually send out as that.

I did figure out what I needed I had to edit the /etc/sysconfig/network file in order to get it working properly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    This is different depending on which SMTP server you are using. You shouldn't have to set the hostname differently in /etc/sysconfig/network if you don't want to. I usually just use something like:

MASQUERADE_AS(mail.XXX.com)
    MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(laptop.XXX.com)
    FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
    FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)
    DjXXX.com

in my /etc/mail/sendmail.mc . This will masquerade everything that is coming from 'laptop.XXX.com'. If I run 'hostname', it returns 'laptop.XXX.com', so you will want to replace this as necessary.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.