Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an issue with cups looking at the available network printers on our network. What I need: I need to use lpinfo -v without it looking for/at any network ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Disable all network printers in CUPS

I have an issue with cups looking at the available network printers on our network.

What I need:
    I need to use lpinfo -v without it looking for/at any network printers. I use lpinfo -v to view locally attached printers recognized by CUPS and then use its output to get the device location to install the printer.

All of my searching so far has only pointed to stopping CUPS from advertising its presence, not stopping CUPS from acknowledging advertisements send from other print servers.

The backstory:
    We have 300+ computers on our warehouse floor running a customized Tiny Core setup. Everything that can be automated has, including detecting and installing printers. Right now printers are installed during boot and replacing a printer requires rebooting the computer. I rewrote my printer scripts to run every minute so we can move printers around without ever having to shutdown the machine but as soon as I pushed it live we started having some major network issues.

To view available printers I was using lpinfo -v which was reaching out to all the network printers CUPS was aware of. The printers were then sending out arp broadcasts to look for every station that ran lpinfo so every minute (the script is run by cron and time is set by a local ntp server) we were getting a synchronized flood of about 20,000 broadcasts.

Just Joined!
    Found the answer at
    sysadminsjourney.com/content/2008/11/05/disable-snmp-printer-scanning-ubuntu-intrepid

Edit /etc/cups/snmp.conf and change
    Address @LOCAL
    to
    Address 127.0.0.1