Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am running a home media server with Ubuntu 10.04 server edition. I connect my laptop (running 10.04 desktop) via sshfs. Today, applications such as Rhythmbox, VLC have been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Problems with sshfs

Hi,

I am running a home media server with Ubuntu 10.04 server edition. I connect my laptop (running 10.04 desktop) via sshfs.

Today, applications such as Rhythmbox, VLC have been unable to read the files. I can view them in Nautilus, and the permissions appear to be unchanged.

The problem appears intermittent - mp3s will play for a few seconds, then stop and produce an error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jez

Hmm...

Interesting... What are the errors you are getting? Can you open any other files via sshfs? Docs, txts, etc? Is your sshfs connection requiring authentication?

-Ryan

Just Joined!
    I don't think it's a network problem now, it is happening directly on the server when I try and play files on the desktop. Via samba, I got error messages about an I/O device error. I can see and open folders via the network, and on the server desktop, but I got error "Cannot read from resource".

I'm worried the hard drive is about to give up on me... it isn't all backed up...

Please advise...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    if your disk is beginning to fail, then you should start backing up important data now

do you have a flash drive or usb/esata disk to back up onto?

Just Joined!
    I'm going to get a new HDD to back up to. A lot of stuff is backed up already, but I just digitised over 100 CDs... Really don't want to have to do that again...

I've had that happen so many times, it's always best to go for one big copy, use the drive as little as you can. I've saved failing drives with the "dd" command. A perfect bit-by-bit clone of the original. Good luck to you.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prioria View Post
    I've had that happen so many times, it's always best to go for one big copy, use the drive as little as you can. I've saved failing drives with the "dd" command. A perfect bit-by-bit clone of the original. Good luck to you.
    Can you tell me where to find out a bit more about this - I will google of course, but all help appreciated. I am a bit of a linux novice.

Just sudo fdisk -l to list your drives and run:

"dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb"

Here, if=... sets the source and of=... sets the destination.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much indeed.

Just Joined!
    I am trying this using a live CD, and two hard drives, sda and sdb as listed above. I've formatted the new drive to ext3 and run the command above. There is no output from the terminal as yet, and it seems to be taking a long time. Is this all normal? It hasn't mounted, gparted can see it however.

Thanks!

Jez
    Last edited by jeztastic; 01-13-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast